Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hedley - April 15, 2010, Moncton Coliseum, Moncton, New Brunswick

My name is Lindsay and I've been a closet Hedley fan for 3 + years. I understand that they are a band that caters to the teenage crowd. I am also aware that each album they produce is descending more and more into the pop genre due to their aforementioned fan base. But there has always been something about them that appeals to me. (Could be Jacob's hot abs....I don't know...probably has something to do with it anyway). Admitting you have a problem, they say, is the first step to recovery.

For the last couple of years, I've been fortunate enough to have a "beard" to hide behind, to get me to their live shows (see? I'm quite aware that they are a "guilty" pleasure...enough that I feel I need a beard!). My son, who is almost 13 now, attended a couple of Hedley shows with me so it didn't seem *quite* so creepy that a woman my age was *ahem* attending and enjoying the show, but this year, he looked at me when I asked if he wanted to go and said "ah...No." So beard gone, and no music buddies really wanting to go, I did not acquire tickets for Hedley's tour through Toronto. So how did I end up going to see them in Moncton, New Brunswick, you ask? Well....My sister mentioned she'd like to go, I was planning a trip east for "get out of the city sanity purposes" anyway, so I booked a flight, bought our tickets, and it was a done deal! The Chase sisters were having a Cougar night!

I have to say, I've been spoiled by excellent music venues in Toronto. Entering the Moncton Coliseum, it took me a bit by surprise, because I hadn't been in the building since attending Moncton Golden Flames games back in my high school days. Seemed a whole LOT bigger back then. There were 3 opening acts, but my sis and I didn't feel a big need to be on time for them, and luckily I had a "correspondent" who filled me in. (found Liz and her kids sitting a few rows over and chatted with them...)

Alex Warman reports: "Stereos came on first, and they were alright. Fifi Dobson was actually pretty good...if she headlined, I'd go see her!"

We were there in time to see Faber Drive. They were OK - you know...pop, but trying to have an edge.

Then Hedley took the stage and my first thought was: "What's with the theatrics?". This has always been a band that is into the "big", but there was a large video montage introducing all the band members that had me already bored before they even arrived on the stage. Was a throughline for the show actually...lots of "stuff" that was gimmicky and unecessary. Would have preferred if they had just come out, and played with fierce energy, and left the theatrics at home. i.e.: the telling of stories around the fake campfire to set up the next tune...the wardrobe changes (with owl hoots on the audio in the darkness), and Jacob's almost evangelical speeches of "thank you for coming...if you keep come back, we'll keep come back".

They played almost if not all, every song off the new album and a bunch off the first two. Not a huge fan of the new offering, as it seemed to cater to the teenybopper set, and the show carried on in this vein. Are they talented? Sure. Jacob in particular has got "it", and plays guitar and piano really well in addition to his vocal ability, but it seemed forced to me...the show I saw at Massey Hall a year back was more real and more raw. Did enjoy when he sat down to the piano for the softer stuff, as it seemed more sincere.

Can't really fault them for their descent into popdom...it is their bread and butter and good for them really. Still maintain that their first two albums are pretty good, and that even the third has some catchy numbers that are fun. But having been experiencing some music with more depth as of late, the show didn't give me the shivers. Need one that does real soon.

And unlike past shows....Jacob didn't take off his shirt. (what can I say...he's got the best torso in the business...I missed that!)

So Hedley, baby....I think I'm over you. I'm sorry, but I'm breaking it off... it's not you...it's me! (I deserve much, much better). I wish you well, and you and me Hedley? We will always be friends.

3 comments:

  1. I liked them, but I'd never seen them before.
    This is Alex, by the way. I didn't know you had a blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alex...I liked them too and always will as a guilty pleasure... But in the way that you like Sugar Pops....They don't have a lot of substance or nutritional value, but they taste good at the time and give you a bit of a sugar rush! Past shows (and I've seen them twice before) have been less rehearsed and the Jacob crazyness more organic and interesting and raw. Just felt they've succumbed to the sugary pop genre. If you go back and listen to their stuff off the first album, it's a bit more original and their shows reflected that. Thanks for reading! I'll be posting new stuff regularly and am always looking for commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, and Alex...do check out Manchester Orchestra. I think you'd like them a lot. Reviewed them a few posts back. They were a new discovery of mine via recommendation so hoping to spread the word on them.

    ReplyDelete